Makes 4-6 Servings
- 1T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped small
- 2 carrots, chopped small
- 8C vegetable broth (I'm a huge fan of Vegetarian No Chicken Broth from Imagine Foods)
- 1C uncooked brown rice
- 1 (15oz) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (150z) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (optional) to taste.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and a pinch of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Heat until onions are translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add celery and carrots, stir to combine and cook until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth, stir to combine.
- Add brown rice, stir to combine, and bring mixture to a boil. Cover pot, and reduce heat. Allow mixture to simmer around 35 minutes.
- Add navy and kidney beans, stir to combine, cover pot and cook an additional 10-15 minutes, or until rice is cooked to desired doneness.