I am a huge fan of breakfast. Most of the time, it's the first meal I eat after going hours without food, so I always do my best to make it worthwhile.
When you have to get out the door in the morning, putting together a well balanced breakfast can seem like a challenge, but that doesn't mean you need to settle for something subpar. One of my favorite go to breakfasts is the breakfast bowl, or as I like to call it "Grains, Greens, and 'Teins". The ingredients you include in the bowl are entirely up to you, but as long as it includes at least one grain, one green (or at least one serving of any veggie, really), and one protein, you should have a well balanced, healthy meal, that will leave you sated until lunchtime.
Time Saving Tip: Make a big batch of grains in advance and reheat them on the stove or in the microwave each time you make a bowl. This will be a huge time saver in the morning, and you should be able to put one of these bowls together in less than 10 minutes.
Grains Greens and 'Teins Breakfast Bowl
- 1/2C-1C cooked brown rice farina , or whatever grain or bread you fancy
- 1C kale, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2t olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Green onions, chopped (optional)
- Put cooked farina in a bowl, set aside for later.
- Heat 1t olive oil in skillet over medium heat, add kale and cook until wilted.
- Top farina with kale.
- Return skillet to stove, adjust heat to low, and heat remaining olive oil.
- Cook egg to desired doneness (I like mine over easy)
- Top farina and veggies with cooked egg and garnish with chopped green onion.