serving suggestion: enjoy topped with avocado, fritos, and sriracha alongside a crisp IPA – hoppy beers and spicy food go really well together!
makes 6 servings
I followed this recipe for ingredients, with some small modifications.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2t ground cumin
- 1T chili powder
- 1t salt
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid (If I make this again, I think I would replace this with 1-2(15oz.) cans of diced tomatoes with diced green chilis.)
- 2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1T oregano
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add first six ingredients (onion-jalapeño), and cook until tender.
- Add next three ingredients (cumin-salt), and stir to combine.
- Add diced tomatoes and beans, stir to combine. Cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally (mostly to make sure nothing gets tuck to the bottom of the pot).
- Serve in bowls with your choice of toppings.